(Product recommendations are at the end of this article)
You're always told to wash your face,
but does anyone give any follow-up instructions? Some places will tell you to use a washcloth, some will tell you to use bar soap, some places will tell you to use a $200 sonic brush. Do you do any of that?
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, in their article "Face washing 101", they give these six steps:
- Use a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser (that does not contain alcohol)
- Use lukewarm water to wet your face and use your fingertips (anything else can irritate the skin)
- Don't scrub your skin (scrubbing irritates your skin)
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry
- Use moisturizer
- Limit face washing to twice a day and after sweating
The American Academy of Dermatology also published the following video which goes over the above steps:
When looking for a cleanser, look for a few things on the ingredient label
- Are there any irritants in the product? Alcohol can dry your skin, some surfactants such as Sodium Lauryl(Laureth) Sulfate can irritate, and if you're into chemistry, see if the product is pH balanced. Acids lower the pH and ingredients like sodium hydroxide (in very small amounts) increases the pH to match your skin's acid mantle which has a pH of 4.5-5.5.
- Are you allergic to any ingredients? Words like perfume, parfum, or fragrance can hide chemicals that may be irritants. Look for a product that DOES NOT have these words. Other ingredients like aloe vera can trigger reactions in some individuals.
- Go natural! Look for natural ingredients and stay away from synthetic preservatives, fragrances, and dyes. A quick search can help you decipher the ingredient without a Ph.D.
- And arguably the most important, Go local! Supporting local businesses not only helps the business but the community they sell in and the community you live in. Most dollars you spend at small/local businesses (like Vérité Skincare which is proud to call Rockford, IL home) stay in the community rather than going states away to Large Corporation Inc.
Basic Cleanser: unscented cleanser by vérité OR bergamot scent cleanser by vérité
These cleansers are formulated to be powerful, gentle, and natural. Sensitive to scents? the unscented cleanser is the way to go. Like citrus? My favorite at the moment is the bergamot scent cleanser; Our bergamot essential oil is bergapten free meaning its photosensitizing compounds have been removed making it safe to use before going out into the sun.
Premium Cleanser: blood orange and rose scent cleanser by vérité
Premium product; affordable price. Rose hydrosol gives this cleanser a fresh, rosy scent while delivering the power of the hydrosol!
**all of our cleansers come in glass for easy recycling with a plastic option available for an upcharge. More about Vérité's plastic tax here.